The holidays are filled with all sorts of expectations.
Not only are we supposed to be in a celebratory mood, we’re often invited to celebrations with families that make it hard to forget the stress and infertility issues we’re experiencing in our “normal” lives. For couples that are in the process of trying to conceive, it’s especially important to relieve some of the pressure of this busy time of year.
At Midwest Reproductive Center, we don’t want our patients to be left out of the joy of the holidays. There are many opportunities to appreciate the blessings we have in our lives, connect with others and continue taking positive steps towards our baby dreams.
Dr. Dan Gehlbach’s clinical care team suggests focusing on these 5 areas to increase joy and minimize stress and infertility worries.
- Don’t be afraid to say “No”: Are there events this time of year that are especially difficult for you? Give yourself permission to take a break. Choose gatherings that are truly meaningful to you, and send your regrets for the others.
- Maintain your healthy habits: Stress and infertility issues don’t go away just because it’s holiday time, so neither should the activities that help you achieve balance. Maintain your normal exercise routine as much as possible – it’s an excellent way to get some alone time and recharge your batteries. Making sure to get good sleep and avoid too much alcohol and dessert are also important ways to keep a healthy balance.
- Connect with others experiencing infertility: Find a group here in the Kansas City area or online to share your experiences juggling baby hopes and dreams with the expectations for the holidays. Connecting with others in your situation will give you strength and relationships that will sustain you for the rest of the year.
- Volunteer your time to help others: Helping those in difficult circumstances helps us see outside of ourselves and appreciate the love and abundance in our own lives. Find a soup kitchen, reading program for preschoolers or nursing home in need of helpers and roll up your sleeves. Not only will you feel better for making a contribution to the Kansas City community, you’ll get a break from your own stress and infertility worries.
- Have fun! Take some time to think about the holiday traditions that you enjoy the most, and make sure that you have enough time and energy to appreciate them. The holidays are about giving to others, but also about getting in touch with the things that make us happy.
At Midwest Reproductive Center, we’re here to support your fertility journey, no matter what time of year. Please contact us for a consultation with Dr. Dan Gehlbach if you’d like to discuss the best schedule for your fertility treatment plan during the holidays.